Your Home Office: The Essentials You Need
Whether you telecommute or run a home-based business, it’s really important to get your home office in shape. Doing so involves making sure you have all the office furniture, gadgets, and supplies you’re going to need to stay productive and on-task.
Here are some of the office essentials you should invest in.
- Simple Office Desk. – Simple is best for office desks. Ideally, you want a large flat working area. If you have a desk with lots of nook and crannies then inevitably you will lose things. If nothing else they will just collect dust. Try to avoid stow away desks as these tend to be low quality and flimsy. Instead, opt for a solid wood desk. Ideally to make sure a better ergonomic working place then an L-shaped desk is best.
- Ergonomic Office Chair – Comfort wise this is one of the most important elements of your home office. It is worth spending on a good quality chair. If you opt for a cheap chair without proper lumbar support then you will not only find sitting in it for long periods uncomfortable, you will probably stat tot suffer from back pain. Back pain shouldn’t be underestimated as it affects 80% of the population and results in your inability to work.
- A top-of-the-line PC, printer, and high-speed Internet connection. Today’s lightning-fast business world relies heavily on computers, so it’s important to choose a high-quality computer. You want something with a large hard drive, a big enough check, and the ability to run a variety of software programs. Likewise, you should get a good printer that will produce flawless documents, especially if you’ll be sending out mail. A high-speed Internet connection is also important since so much happens online these days. Without this, you won’t be able to keep on top of e-mail and stay in contact with your colleagues and customers.
- Proper Lighting. When working with a check, it is important to get the lighting right. Too much and it will say on your screen and cause you to strain your eyes. Ideally, you want to be able to diffuse the light source, if from a window then install a blind. Artificial light should also be diffused to avoid glare. A desk lamp is ideal as it always you to control the working area lighting with ease, just experiment with its placement to avoid reflection and glare.
- A high-quality stapler. Although a lot of things happen online, you’ll still find yourself dealing with paper from time to time. It never hurts to have a good stapler around so you can fasten your documents quickly and easily. When choosing one, look for a stapler that can handle a decent amount of paper and one that is unlikely to jam up on you. It can also help to select a stapler that can open up so you can pin papers to a bulletin board or other surface.
- A durable combination board. It’s important to stay organized and keep track of deadlines and appointments. A combination board can help you do so. These boards contain both a cork surface (to pin items on) and a dry-erase area which is convenient. Combination boards come in many different sizes so you’ll be able to find one that’s just right for you. Be sure to choose one that’s durable so you can use it a lot.
- Office White Board. – Essential to keep track of your projects, to do lists, goals and much more. Anytime you can visualize progress and tasks your mind will laser focus on getting it done. Take a look at our office whiteboard guide.
- A reliable paper shredder. A paper shredder is a must-have machine for your home office. Not only can it help you protect yourself from identity theft, but it can also help you comply with things such as the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). (This is especially true if you have employees or have customers and patients.) Be sure to look for one that offers a high level of security (i.e., Levels 3, 4, 5, 6) and can shred a lot of paper at once.
- A high-quality pouch laminate. You may come across a paper document that you need to hold on to for a long time. That’s when a pouch laminate can be useful. This type of lamination can help you keep the document so you can keep it in good shape. Additionally, There are some pouch laminates that can be used for mounting boards, to process photographs, and even sticky-back pouches so that you can make visual aids. (This is helpful if you have to give a presentation.
What what you add or remove from this list, let us know below.