Job Hunting with LinkedIn
Any person currently job searching will definitely benefit from using a networking LinkedIn strategy. It requires creativity, confidence and courage. If you are passionate about working for a specific company one day and assuming that you have kept your social medial profile updated, then, this LinkedIn job search strategy might be a stepping stone towards achieving your dream.
How to use LinkedIn towards achieving that dream job:
Identify your strongest LinkedIn connections:
After your network has grown to a significant extent, identify some of your sympathizers who are most receptive to your quest. Inform them of your objectives of learning about the company, its culture and the employees hoping that you will work there eventually. Furthermore, ensure that you connect with significant second level contacts within or outside the company. It is also important to thank all the contacts within your network with a nice personalized note.
Here you ought to be creative, for instance you can get some business cards printed with QR codes that lead people back to your online resume:
The cards are cheaply available even for under $10. You can also hand write them but printing them will make more impact. It is very important to put a link to your resume website on the cards. After that, you can now go ahead and ask them for a face-to-face meeting even if it’s just for two minutes.
Good reasons for arranging a meeting
- You are in the neighborhood and would like to meet in person.
- You want to drop a business card.
- You would like to drop a resume and see what the workplace looks like.
- You want to meet and put a face to the profile.
- You are researching the company and would like to get more details from the people working there.
- You wanted to see the company’s facility and get the feel of the working environment
When you get that chance to meet with one person within your network, make sure that you carry your resume and your business card with you. Utilize that chance to meet with as many contacts as possible even if you will just shake hands. If the company’s environment is business casual, try to fit in and don’t wear a suit. After the meeting, send a handwritten thank you card together with your business card to those people you met with.
Adopt an action oriented LinkedIn job search strategy
Many people don’t follow though or short change this crucial stage. After the meetings try to start a discussion on a LinkedIn group on how impressed you were with the company and its facility and how much you would like to work there someday. Contact the company’s president or top managers telling them how nice it was to visit their organization and meet their employees. After that, make a habit of following up frequently, to see whether there is any openings that suits your qualification. However, you should be careful not to overdo it, otherwise you will be mistaken for a stalker. Please note that, phone call is always more personal while Email is less intrusive.
The secret to job hunting with LinkedIn is being consistent
If you keep this up, you will most likely get a formal interview.
Some of the things to consider when using this job search strategy:
- Always initiate contact. The ball is in your court so don’t expect or wait for a response.
- Ensure that you ask for referrals of other people who could help after every communication.
- Use formal titles like Mr. Ms. in all of your communications.
- Never apologize. You are offering something valuable.
- Always be precise to the point.
- Be friendly and upbeat.
- Be thankful, follow-up and make it personal.
Do not quit prematurely. Be relentless in your pursuit, you are the only person who can change your life.
Please subscribe to our news letter and help us grow this site by sharing what we are up to